Reporters are constantly on the lookout for products, companies, and individuals to write about.
If you’re not using publicity then you are missing out on sales and leaving a lot of money on the table.
Advertising mixed with publicity or PR (public relations) can increase sales in a short period of time.
The 2 Biggest Reasons PR Doesn’t Help Business Owners
1) Business owners aren’t familiar with it. Before I got into PR I owned a collection agency and I had never heard about public relations. And, I wasted lots of money on advertising that didn’t work. Let’s face it. Reporters can’t write about you if they don’t know you exist.
2) Your PR efforts aren’t consistent. Sending one press release every 3 or 4 months is not a campaign and doesn’t get results.
I’ve discovered 15 ways you can get publicity to promote your business, get new customers, boost sales, and have lots of fun.
1. Call the radio station when you hear ” We have open lines.” and talk about issues that your expertise solves.
2. Give an award. (Find influential people in your community or industry and give them an award.)
3. Get an editorial calendar from publications you’d like to be in and find out upcoming stories that fit your expertise.
4. Arrange round up articles with other experts in your industry.
5. Start your own free local cable access TV show. (Contact local cable company)
6. Write articles for newspapers and magazines.
7. Write Op/Ed columns for newspapers.
8. Write a letter to the editor.
9. Write a tip sheet. ( 15 Ways to…)
10. Go where the cameras are. Read calendar of events section in your newspaper or call newsroom and ask what events are they covering
11. Write a how-to article.
12. Write and send press releases to the media.
13. Call photographers desk at local newspapers and volunteer your office or building for backdrop or special issue stories.
14. Speak for local civic groups and announce in their newsletters.
15. Create your own special day. (Visit www.chases.com)